quinta-feira, 3 de setembro de 2015

ainda naquela de afirmar os valores fundamentais.

"I've seen several tabs of this song, but none of them conveyed what I think is the real charm and musical lesson to be learned from this
song: polychords! or rather, Todd's favorite trick of playing simple
triads over unusual bass notes. It's a pianistic technique that can
also be applied to guitar. This song is a great example: the first
chord, f'rinstance, is an E major triad played over an A bass note.
This gives us, from the bottom up: A, E, G#, B, and E... a nice A major 9 chord. Notice that there is no C# in the chord, which gives it a slightly open, ambiguous (jazzy? Todd-y?) sound.

I hope you can see that many of the fingerings are simple 3-string
chord shapes that you might play in the first (nut) position, just
moved up higher on the neck and with a different bass note fretted with a spare finger. If this concept makes sense, I think you'll find the fingerings easier to play (also, my chord names will mean more.)

Todd seems to have discovered this device sometime around the Runt: The Ballad album, and he comes back to it on all his records. It's one of the signatures of the Todd sound, for me. I wonder who he learned it from?"

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário